Saturday, September 6, 2008

Pig In A Blanket

Last night was one of those "I wish I had brought my camera" nights.

Our ward picnic/campout was a luau - and the organizers took the theme and ran with it - whole hog. They cooked a whole pig in a pit - covered it with hot rocks and wet burlap bags. The idea sounds okay - after all, I remember having a pig cooked in our front yard when I was a teenager - but somehow it wasn't quite as good. I think the problem was that they didn't actually bury the pig - just covered it - so all the juiciness leaked out. Oh well, it was still good and I'm pretty sure it all got eaten.
Since I didn't have my camera,this picture will have to do duty as substitute. It was practically the same...except, instead of banana leaves they used burlap, we did have Polynesians cooking, but since we live in the Pacific Northwest - they were rather more fully clothed. Ditto with the spectators. The onlookers at ours also had leis...plastic ones from the party store. And I think there was only one or maybe two people with cameras.

Aloha.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Bummer about the camera. Who's idea was it to have a roasted pig?

Keira said...

Better question: Who volunteered their back yard to have a huge hole dug into it?

Frankie/mom said...

hey, first time on your site. Looks good!
frankie/mom

Debbie said...

They cooked the pig at the church property...so no one sacrificed their landscaping.