Saturday, September 13, 2008

Learning Curve


I was talking to a couple of the other seminary teachers on Thursday morning and we all agreed that this was the longest week. Ever. We were all sleep deprived to some degree or other, we had all spent more time than we really had on lesson prep, and were more than a little glassy eyed at the thought of an entire school year of this...possibly years.

I figure it's like starting any new class or job. It starts out busy - there are lots of one time tasks - or occasional tasks, then it settles down as you get into a rhythm of study and teaching. At least that's my hope. I'm fortunate to be a "morning person" - 6am is not terribly early for me - but getting up at 4:45am does take some getting used to. It's easy enough to get up then, it's just hard to maintain any energy at, say, 5pm. Twice this week I fell asleep as dinner was cooking. Not for too long, and nothing burned, but it does raise a bit of a red flag. I think I'll have to do my dinner prep earlier in the day. Thank goodness for crock pots and microwaves.

Does anyone have any great crock pot recipes?

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Pork loin + BBQ sauce= Shredded Pork Sandwiches

I feel for you. Sleep deprivation is not a good thing. Sounds like Steve is really good about not letting dinner burn.

Debbie said...

Yesterday I made a huge pot of "Zuppa Toscana" soup - all Steve had to do was heat up some garlic bread. The soup was made early enough that I didn't doze off. I plan on putting the left-overs in the freezer - thankfully Nathan and Alex love it. Danny, not so much.

I'll have to see who has pork on sale this week. I make an Indonesian pork roast and have used the leftover with BBQ sauce for sandwiches.

Keira said...

I just found a site called: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

This woman uses her crockpot for a different meal each day for an entire year.

I'd be sick of it after a while but, I liked the look of day 181, 170, 219, 232...

Mad Runner said...

Jody's ginger chicken is really good. Serve with rice.

I have a great white bean and ham soup that I make if you want it easy too...

Northern White beans (soaked overnight) Sprinkle generously with garlic salt. Simmer for 3 hours. Add ham hock - the meatier the better. Simmer for 3 hours. Last hour add 1 med carrot diced, 2 cloves garlic minced. Serve with bread. Yum!