Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I Found My Thrill


I propose that we ignore all the muck-raking politics for a moment and consider the blueberry. Every year I fall back in love with those tiny globes of goodness. Please join me in singing its praises.

Well, since I don't know any songs about blueberries (except "I Found My Thrill on Blueberry Hill")...I'll just enumerate the exceptional qualities found in this, one of the least of the fruit kingdom. But first, let's take a look at a few contenders:

Peaches are peachy, except that you have to climb a tree, if you pick more than a dozen, they start getting heavy, they are fuzzy - even though you can eat the skin, it's not so great. Then they need to be sliced - just biting into them will cause juice to drip down your chin, hands and arms. THEN you still are left with a pit to throw away or compost.

Strawberries are yummy, but in order to pick them you have to get down on the ground - no shade! Slugs like to eat them. They get really mushy if you freeze them and then thaw them. You need a lot of plants to have enough ripe strawberries at one time for any kind of family size dessert.

Blackberries. My favorite flavor of jam is blackberry jam, but I hate picking blackberries - not only do they have lethal thorns, but they are still bearing into early autumn - and that's when the garden spiders are starting to get to phenomenal proportions. Garter snakes, ditto. Also, the darn things get moldy fast! Did I mention stains - yeah, those berries do leave a mark. The seeds aren't that great either - I always take the time and effort to strain out as many as possible.

Apples. Long lasting, good for you, cooked in a pie with vanilla ice cream they are a force to be reckoned with. But wait. First you have to wash them, then peel them, then core and slice them. THEN they are great in a pie.

Blueberries. No slugs. I never have to water or prune them. In fact, beyond weeding around them a couple or three times a year I am able to just ignore them. Hardly any bugs are attracted. No thorns. No peeling, coring, slicing. Not sticky. Don't mold fast. Freeze exceptionally well, with the barest minimum of preparation - just rinse them and throw them in a freezer bag. They may not be the sweetest, juiciest, most flavorful fruit in the world, but, by gum, they are fast and easy. And that's what I'm all about.

6 comments:

Keira said...

Maybe you should get Suzanne's blueberry scone recipe. Yummo.

Otherwise I love a good nectarine (better skin than a peach and less juice) and raspberry jam is my favorite.

Suzanne said...

Let's not forget "Blueberries For Sal", a book that truly captures the great qualities of such universally loved a berry.

I haven't made the scones in a long time...maybe it's time to dust off the recipe.

Debbie said...

Please. Send. It. Now.

Frankie/mom said...

Ditto to Keira's comment... love a good WHITE flesh nectarine and YES, to raspberry jam! They're pretty easy to freeze too; don't even rinse them (makes them 'melt') & throw them on a cookie sheet, single layer, freeze then pop them into vacuum bags or zips and them 'create' a reason to thaw and eat asap. The Jam Filled Almond bars (pg 108, Hanna cook book) are a pretty good use. Speaking of said cookbook; I silently (& not-so-silently) thank Debbie every time I open it to the beautifully plastic sleeved pages. Nary a spot or stain to be found on any of the recipes therein. Thanks again Debbie!

Debbie said...

I love raspberries too, but have had a harder time with the growing of them. We planted some several years back...the boys promptly mowed them down. Of my 6 blueberry bushes they only destroyed one.

Frankie/mom said...

BTW, do you all know who sang "Blueberry Hill"? It became a #1 hit in 1956. I know because I did the 'bop' to those lilting strains! (yes, I'm old) Anyway, His real name is Antoine Dominque and he's from New Orleans & still lives there. Born 1928 & still performs once in a while. I loved him then & still do! Of course, I was raised in San Jose and Rock 'n Roll was king....but I liked what they called 'Rhythm & Blues', which denoted mostly black singers/musicians as well.