Thursday, September 11, 2008

One Talented Guy

Jan van Eyck, Man in Blue Turban

Nathan is quite the renaissance man. Not only is he performing in a talent show tonight, he is also taking treats that he made from scratch.

Talent: Playing the piano blindfolded. He hasn't ever had piano lessons, so the piece he chose is going to be played with one finger. He was feeling that as a talent it was a bit lame, so I suggested he play it behind his back - that being more than a bit awkward, he chose to do it blindfolded instead. Did I mention that he hand knitted the scarf he will be using for a blindfold? Now that's talent.

Treat: Jam bars. They are in the family cookbook. It's great that he likes them and can make them, but I thought I had a two year supply of homemade blackberry jam, and he is quickly working his way through it with his signature dessert (he has taken it to at least 3 singles functions in the past month). Looks like he needs to head out and pick some blackberries for me.

Jam Bars
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup quick oats
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup jam (blackberry or raspberry are our favorites)

Sift together dry ingredients; stir in oats and sugar. Cut in butter till crumbly; pat 2/3 of crumbs in 11x7 pan. Spread with preserves; top with remaining crumbs. Bake in 375' oven about 35 minutes.

3 comments:

Keira said...

Oats give me indigestion when I'm pregnant--but the knitted scarf totally impresses me, though.

Suzanne said...

Whoa. Totally impressed.

Song choice?

Mad Runner said...

He's gonna snag himself a wife yet!With all of these winning talents maybe you should post him somewhere??? "Will bake for wife. Must be kind and willing to tolerate my extended family commenting on everything."