Friday, February 29, 2008
Thursday, February 28, 2008
- Charleton Heston's designation as a galley slave in the film Ben-Hur.
- the international direct dialing(IDD) code for Switzerland. (Maybe you've had to use it when calling ME lately)
- Montana is the 41st state of the United States. Which hosts "Evel Kneivel Days"
- George W. Bush's nickname for his father, George H. W. Bush, the 41st President of the United States.
- the number of the last symphony of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Also called the "Jupiter Symphony".
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
We are going to see the BYU Folk Dancers tonight. I am looking forward to great things. We get to stay after the show and take home two of the dancers. We got 2 free tickets for volunteering to be a host family. I've never done that before - so I'm slightly nervous. Frankly, I'm more nervous about how late it will be before we get home. I'm betting 10:30pm. That's on a school night will 6am seminary the next morning. I'm wondering how hard it will be to get Alex up in the morning. I was going to take Danny instead - it would look great on his homeschool report, but he's still pretty sick.
As for super-hero costume - probably something in washable camouflage and instead of a cape he would sport a burp cloth on his shoulder (in case of "mop-ups").
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Monday, February 25, 2008
I adore P.G.Wodehouse. I will read nearly anything by him. He even makes golf funny (just think of the story he could have come up with if a dog ran into HIS car next to the golf course). It's been a few months since my last "fix" - I think I'm due - maybe I'll pick one out to read while I'm convalescing tomorrow after my root canal. I have the perfect one...it's called "Laughing Gas"...it's about a guy who goes in to the dentist.....well, I don't want to spoil it for you. You'll just have to read it yourself.
Thank you Mr. Wodehouse for brightening my day.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
45 days to go.....
Saturday, February 23, 2008
- In Psalm 46 in the King James Version of the Bible, the 46th word from the beginning is "shake" and the 46th word from the end is "spear"; at the time of publication of the King James Bible, playwright William Shakespeare was 46 years old
- The number of samurai, out of 47, who carried out the attack in the historical Ako vendetta; sometimes referred to as the 46 Ronins to discount the one samurai forced to turn back
- At age 46:
Ben Franklin conducted kite experiments, and discovered lightning is an electrical discharge. John F. Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963 . Alfred Eisenstaedt took his a photo of a sailor sweeping up a girl in a kiss during the V-J day celebration in Times Square.
- The total of books in the Old Testament, Catholic version, if the Book of Lamentations is counted as a book separate from the Book of Jeremiah .
- The atomic number of palladium .
- The number of human chromosomes .
Friday, February 22, 2008
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Only 5 or 6 more letters to write.
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Miriam came over for a play date with me this afternoon. We had a good time having lunch together, changing doll clothes (somehow they all ended up in PINK clothes), watching Curious George and coloring. Good times.
Daniel's 13th birthday is coming right up. The night before last he wrote up his birthday list. It goes like this:
- 500 GB External Hard Drive
- New Sunday pants
- More long sleeve shirts
- More underwear
- New robe
- New snow gloves
- No jokes
- New shoes/socks
- Please get #1
- A mind
- 1 game from Game Crazy that's my choice. I want the first one more.
Hmm...I wonder what he wants?
I did get a kick out of socks/shoes/underwear/pants/robe/shirts...This from a kid that would wear the same clothes for a week if you didn't tell him to shower and change. He's been angling for a new computer for a couple of months now. We keep telling him that when Andrew leaves he could probably inherit that one (which is less than a year old...I think). He figures that Nathan will want to use it - so he (Daniel) should get a new one. I'm impressed that he only asked for a new hard drive. Of course, I'd much rather get him a new bike. We'll have to see how that works out.
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
50 days to go.
Monday, February 18, 2008
- The plane has red wings, not silver.
- Our heroine (Amory Lorrimer) is shown in a sleeveless dress. GLH would not have approved.
- Our hero (Theodore Gareth Kingsley) has used way too much self tanning lotion.
Thought bubbles I would like to see over the couple:
Gareth: Yes, I'm secure enough in my manliness to use self tanner, bleach my hair and throw my jacket over my shoulder.
Amory: Are you sure? Cause I'm just not feeling it. In fact I find it more than a little weird.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
April 9th. That's the day.
Saturday, February 16, 2008
I think I was the only YW leader to actually do any sledding. Thank goodness I still have my dignity intact.
Except for the goofy hat. I would care more, but since I usually only wear a ski hat once a year....not worth buying something stylish. Besides, that's just sissy.
Cassie (my MIA Maid president) and I sat up at the top of the hill for a while and judged wipe outs. I was the "East German Judge".
Friday, February 15, 2008
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Rick Steves is actually from Edmonds, Washington, which is just down the road - about 30 miles south of us. I wish I didn't find his guide books so useful, because I have a few issues with the increasingly liberal slant to his writings. I don't much care if he is a far-left, tree hugging, pot smoking, hippie liberal, if he is, fine - just don't foist that off on the rest of us "ugly Americans". He seems to get a little more self righteous and "down with Americans" as he goes on. Oh well, look who he's hanging out with now....ACLU. Nuff' said.
Rhett: Did you pick all the brownie chunks out of the ice cream?
I was very impressed that my husband found a card all about us and our somewhat stormy (ha ha) relationship over the years. We have grown to know each other better and better as those years have passed by. Steve wouldn't even feel the need to ask who had been "mining" in the ice cream, and if he did have the temerity to ask, I would answer with a simple "yes, it was I."
We met in 1980 in the Wilkinson Center and danced together for the first time. Our dance instructor asked us to "pick a partner" Steve took her literally, and here we are 27 1/2 years later still dancing.
Happy Valentines, sweetie. And thank you for the pink carnations. I like the irony, and the fact that they are disposable after a few days.
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Monday, February 11, 2008
Sunday, February 10, 2008
I now promise to stop posting about bras.
1. the state of being linked together as in a chain; union in a linked series
2. the linking together of a consecutive series of symbols or events or ideas etc; "it was caused by an improbable concatenation of circumstances"
3. a series of things depending on each other as if linked together; "the chain of command"; "a complicated concatenation of circumstances" [syn: chain]
4. the act of linking together as in a series or chain
Saturday, February 9, 2008
Thursday, February 7, 2008
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
I've taken the train to Portland many times, but this will be Daniel's first real train ride. I think he's excited.
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
When Steve was running for office a couple of years ago Mike gave him one of his few (very few) campaign contributions. Which was cool, especially since Mike doesn't even live in our district. Today he told Steve he should run for president. I wonder how many transmissions he would have to repair to be a major contributor?