Sunday, September 7, 2008

Open Mic Sunday


Yesterday morning I was at the fall seminary conference. A guy in the last class related an experience that he had had in relation to "open mic Sunday".

He used to be a counselor in a bishopric and dreaded testimony meeting. He hated the long pauses when no one was getting up - he was the type that wanted all the spaced filled. As he sat there during a lull, his bishop leaned over and said "This is my favorite part. When no one is standing up yet and you can watch the faces of people as they ponder the Spirit and whether to get up - or just think about their testimonies" (I'm paraphrasing).

His comment made me realize how important the silences are in church, not just the noise we make.

In spite of that, or maybe because of that comment he shared, I got up today. I figure I need to get used to bearing my testimony - like the voters in Chicago were urged to do "early and often".

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

LOL. I love the "open mic Sunday" term. I asked Michael if he wanted to go to church today, all I had to say was "Fast Sunday" and he was there.

Keira said...

I love the bulletin board--stylish AND functional. Too bad the New Testament song is the easiest one...