Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Reading Lite


I'm not sure if I've mentioned it here before, but I love our dentist. I probably have. He is the nicest guy. Our family has been going to see him for 13 years. He was about the only dentist in our general area we could find that takes our dental insurance (we have GREAT dental - it pays 100% of everything - no co-pays or exceptions that we've found).


I had to go in today to have some routine follow up stuff done for my root canals. Not too much fun, but I got through it fine. Of course it is 5pm and the Novocaine hasn't completely worn off - did I mention that he uses a LOT of Novocaine?

Anyway, I wanted to mention one other thing that I like about him. No, two other things. First of all, his office doesn't smell "dentisty". Some offices I've walked in practically trigger a panic attack just from the smell. Second, he has the best selection of magazines for an office that I've ever seen. He has a rack that is two magazines high and about 5 feet long, the magazines are neatly stacked about 4 or 5 deep. Surprisingly he doesn't have "People", he has things like "Smithsonian", "National Geographic"(watch the credits), "Architectural Digest", "Cottage Living", "Sports Illustrated"(NOT the swimsuit issue, ever), etc... I could just sit there and browse through magazines.

Magazines I don't see there: "People" or "Parenting". I'm especially glad not to see "Parenting". I think that is the only magazine they ever have laying around at our pediatrician's office. Now there's a depressing mag. - all about being a better parent - when you're in the doctor's office because little Jimmy is sick - or better yet, little Nathan just broke his arm for the 3rd time.

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Embarrassingly, I love to indulge my People fix while at the drs. If I had the other choices, I would probably pick Architectural Digest, or the Smithsonian over People.

Are you going to be able to eat dinner?

Debbie said...

Yeah, the novocaine is just about gone. It funny that it took hours less time for the novo. from the root canal to wear off.

Keira said...

Flock of Birds: Chuck Norris
I love that.

I, too, give the Parenting mag a pass at the ob/gyn. My favorite is Country Living.

Stephen said...

He knows how to give novocaine. He cares about his patients not money. When I called to see if he would accept our family he was hesitant until I mentioned we were on the prepaid plan. His answer was "Good, I don't like to bill".

Mad Runner said...

I too have to confess that I will peruse People - but only after The New Yorker, Architectural Digest and/or Antique Quarterly.

I had mouth watering BBC ribs done for dinner - perfect, right until Jim cut into them and they smelled bad. So, we had to have a mish-mash dinner of Polish sausages, hot dogs and a B.A.T.. Very unsatisfying to say the least. Deb if you missed tasting dinner at our house it would have been a good thing.

Debbie said...

I kind of skipped dinner, and then it caught up with me around 8:30 - so I had some unsatisfying toast. Toast is not dinner.

Suzanne said...

Sherri, you are having no luck with dinners this week. Hopefully tonight's will be a winner.