Sunday, April 13, 2008

Let's Talk


After a two week hiatus, we are back to our regularly scheduled schedule.

Stephanie and Cory (et al) came to our ward to hear Nathan's homecoming talk. Nathan did a fine job - the meeting even ended a couple of minutes early. I told him that I appreciate it when speakers quit when they are done - as opposed to rambling on. It is definitely a sign of maturity when someone is given just a few days to come up with a 20 minute talk, and they don't complain. In that respect I'm not very mature. I still like to "haggle" over just exactly how long the member of the bishopric wants me to speak.

me: "When you say seven to ten minutes, do you mean closer to seven?"

them: "(relieved that I didn't just say no) However long the Spirit prompts you to talk"

me: "We'll be out early"

3 comments:

Mad Runner said...

I love short meetings but that just means that Primary starts early and we have to lengthen our sharing times. So it's good, it's bad.

Keira said...

We once had a woman break the second deadly sin--time encroachment. She was given 10-15 minutes and spoke for 45.

Every parent in the audience was P.O.ed but the horrified look on her face when she sat next to her husband was priceless. Of course, he didn't get to speak and it was one of those sing-one-verse-of-the-
hymn-and-have-a-quick-prayer moments.

I still don't know how she lost half an hour.

Suzanne said...

The last last I had was "supposed" to last 10-15 minutes. I was the last speaker. There was 7 minutes left for my talk, a closing hymn, and the prayer. I wrapped that talk up in 4 minutes.

I know when to say when.

Way to be mature Nathan!