Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Phantom Menace


The topic of our fireside this evening was dating. I'm sensing a recurring theme in my life right now. The bishop used the "For the Strength of Youth" pamphlet and laid it out for the youth:

"In cultures where dating or courtship is acceptable, dating can help youth develop friendships and eventually find an eternal companion. Youth in the Church are taught to wait until at least age 16 to begin dating and to date only those who have high moral standards. A young man and a young woman on a date are responsible to help each other maintain their standards and to protect each other's honor and virtue."


So, what part of "wait until at least age 16 to begin dating" do you not understand?


I can take great comfort in the knowledge that my boys have gotten that part down pat. I just wish the pamphlet went a little further and told them when they'd better be dating by so that don't don't end up becoming a "menace to society".

2 comments:

Keira said...

I love that talk be Elder Oaks. I have it on my ipod--it's weird to think he ever had to ask his second wife out on a first date. What do you say when an Apostle asks you out? (I'm thinking she was doing a mental fist pump to her family for ever thinking she would dwindle into old maidenhood.)

Debbie said...

I think I may have to enlarge Elder Oaks talk and glue it to the mirror in the boys bathroom. Or maybe shrink it and glue it to the inside of returned missionaries scriptures.