Friday, January 4, 2008

Bigfoot sighting

When I was about 9 or 10 years old I went shoe shopping with my mother and older sister. That was back in the days before self service shoe stores. You sat down and a sales clerk measured your foot. The foot gauge thingy had two adjustments - length and width. My foot was a triple e width (EEE). My feet must have been practically square.

Those wide feet came in handy on todays NYT crossword puzzle. EEE Width was the answer to: 10D Big shoe spec. Not my favorite puzzle - but then, it's Friday so I don't expect to like it. I'm especially unfond (if they can make up words, then so can I) of answers that aren't really words such as 44A One-eighties. The answer: ueys. Gimme a break. That looks like a word I might use in Scrabble when we ditch the real rules and play phonetically.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I believe that I might have used the word ueys the other night when I played Scrabble. I personally think that it needs a q to make it a REALLY good Scrabble word.