Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Word of the Day

Dishabille

dis·ha·bille (dĭs'ə-bēl', -bē') n.
1. The state of being partially or very casually dressed.
2. Casual or lounging attire.
3. An intentionally careless manner.

I hesitated to use this word - but only because I've never known how to pronounce it. It's one of those words that I have come across in reading - and sort of invented my own fake French pronunciation. If pressed to read it aloud it would probably sound like dish- ah- blay. Which is really more Spanish sounding - but since it's not a word I often come across, well, I just sort of ignored pronunciation. Unfortunately, I will probably continue to mispronounce it - but mostly because I don't come across it often enough to make the mental effort.

Why is it the word of the day? I just found out yesterday that all three of my boys will be gone the same weekend. Yes, the stars are aligned. "Loungewear" here I come.

1 comment:

Keira said...

That's the secret life of parents, isn't it?

When the mice are away...