Sunday, July 27, 2008

Musical Trip Down Memory Lane

One Bad Apple.

What do all of these have in common? Yeah, sure, one or all of the Osmond family had a hit with the songs. But besides that?

I was surprised to hear all those and more during the Pioneer Day Concert. I recorded it yesterday - figuring that it would be nice Sunday afternoon spiritual entertainment. Yes, it was entertaining (Donny was looking pretty hot for a 50 year old grandfather)...but not quite as Sunday appropriate as I was expecting. I forget that the Mormon Tab. choir sings other types of music.

Bet you didn't know that I am merely 2 days older that Marie Osmond. And having Mormon boy Donny singing all about puppy love that was only one year older than us was every MIA Maids dream...I suspect that Marie was similarly a poster girl for teachers quorum boys....just ask Steve.

4 comments:

Keira said...

Was he the David Archuleta of his day?

Debbie said...

Possibly. I can't say that I was all that in love with him back in the day - he seemed like he would have been a bit stuck up back then. I think he has mellowed a bit with age.

It's kind of ironic that Donny Osmond and Michael Jackson are about the same age, started singing with their older brothers (while they themselves were still singing soprano). Look at how different they are now.

OKTownsends said...

Janelle has a picture of her and Donny Osmond from just a couple of years ago. I will have to get her to e-mail it to me and I will forward it on to you. She is still quite fond of him. I tried to remember who your big crushes were and I do remember the Monkees. I always tell people I was too young for the Beatles, but we recently went to a 1964 concert (Beatle look a likes you might say) and it was pretty entertaining. My friend from my Seattle Ward now lives in the same ward as Donny, they are backyard neighbors.

Debbie said...

I don't remember (ah, selective memory -what a blessing) having crushes on singers/actors too much when I was a teenager. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that a couple of my favorite singers from the 70's were John Denver and Barry Manilow - neither of which could be considered "hunky" in the least. When I was a little older I did have a crush on Patrick Duffy - he played a character in "Man from Atlantis". Yeah, he might have been part fish, but he was a darn cute merman.