Saturday, July 26, 2008

Lame "Word of the Day"


There are some words that really grate on a person. These tend to be overused "fad" words. Sometimes the words become more acceptable after a while - the word "awesome" comes to mind. As in "Totally awesome, dude". Yeah.

The word I object to this summer is "staycation".

It's like it's some brand new concept. Since gas prices are so high - people are opting to go "green" (another word that I find mildly offensive) and vacation at home. All of a sudden it's considered cool, hip, whatever...to see the sights around your own home town.

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea. On the contrary, I think it's great. It's just the word "staycation" that I object to.

I remember more than a decade ago having homemaking mini classes on great day trip locations. Fun parks, museums, trails....Hmm. Sounds like staycation to me.

3 comments:

Keira said...

Don't judge me and my "staycation". You'll take all the fun out of the black plastic slip 'n' slide...

Debbie said...

I don't dislike the idea of a stay at (or near) home vacation - I just dislike the word "staycation".

Samurai Mom said...

I whole heartedly agree. "Staycation" has been irritationf me for weeks now.