Sunday, March 23, 2008

Instructions for Practically Painless Egg Dyeing


1. Boil up a bunch of eggs, cool.
2. Lay down a lot of newspaper.
3. Mix the dyes with water.
4. Give each child one plastic spoon.
5. Gently drop egg into dye.
6. Instruct child to gently stir the egg.
7. Repeat step 6 as needed.
8. Remove egg from dye.

I'll admit that this method does little to promote creativity and self expression, but as a grandmother, I'm more about maintaining my somewhat fragile grip on sanity. Besides, they can go home and be as creative as their parents are willing to have them be. We had a good time and there was no yelling and surprisingly little mess involved.


Sure, I told them to smile for the camera, but they won't do it if they aren't feeling it. All in all a pretty successful undertaking.

Oh, I forgot the most important step in the whole process. This should actually be step number 1.

Keep your expectations low.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Deb, you know that "Dutch Boy" Easter picture, of you? Well, Kaith kinda sorta, well, we see another little Dutch Boy in the making.

Debbie said...

I think I agree with you.

A couple of weeks ago I was telling Stephanie that he looked a bit like a male version of Shirley Temple (MIL had been watching a Shirly T. movie). I think it has something to do with how articulate he is. I'm sure I wasn't that precocious. I'm also sure I didn't look like Shirley Temple. More of a "Campbell's Kid" (old school version). The boy Campbell, not the girl.

Keira said...

"Keep expectations low"--so many places to apply it, so little time.