Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Beastly Month of February is Over!










Keira linked the "Paradox" song from Pirates of Penzance yesterday. I offer here a segment of the lyrics that really struck home for me:



For some ridiculous reason, to which, however, I’ve no desire to be disloyal,
Some person in authority, I don’t know who, very likely the Astronomer Royal,
Has decided that, although for such a beastly month as February,
twenty-eight days as a rule are plenty,
One year in every four his days shall be reckoned as nine and twenty.


February is a beastly month. I looked up February on wikipedia - and I think the Anglo-Saxons had something going with their name for the month "Solmoneth" which means "mud month". It wasn't particularly muddy here - frankly it's hardly rained at all - and for a couple of weeks we've had a fair amount of sunshine. This month has just seemed endless. And beastly.


Here's to March and 39 days to go!

2 comments:

Keira said...

The Japanese people are going to crush us, aren't they?

Debbie said...

I think that the Japanese are somehow related to the borg. They do have a major difference - they don't assimilate people, just everything else.