Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Lydia Shepherd


Lydia was a daughter of my great-great-great-grandfather, Samuel Shepherd

An excerpt from the Shepherd family history:

*Journal History Entry September 10, 1847: Captain George Wallace's company reached the Green River ford.

Lydia Shepherd recalled crossing the Green River: "My brother got his feet mashed...(with five brothers along, we wish she had named the injured one and told how it happened)...I had to drive the wagon the last three hundred miles. When we got to the Green River, I told my father that I couldn't drive across. He told me to stay on that side then!"

Journal History also states:...the crossing was difficult because of the gravel, the wind, and the swiftness of the water....

Lydia proved herself to be a plucky little lady at age 12 ... Think of driving a wagon across under such circumstances....No wonder she remembered it and included it in her life story many years later.
*the "Journal History" is taken from the daily references from the records of the whole group as recorded in Church History Emigration Records, Vol. I, 1831-1848

3 comments:

Samurai Mom said...

That movie poster makes the movie sound great!
"hearts fortified by love"
"braved the perild of the plains"

Frankie/mom said...

Oh yes, I can see the resemblance to dad there! Must be a throw-back! Fascinating stuff to read, thanks for sharing it all with everyone. All of it, movie-worthy!

m_perfect said...

We feel deeply for little Lydia in this instance...we've all been there, the big decision under the direst of circumstances, crocodiles on the left of us, alligators on the right. Or maybe, warm snugly bed on the left of us( and possibly being a little late), ice water on the right...