Friday, November 7, 2008

Donating my Body to Science

Slowly add the muriatic acid to the 50 ml of water. Add one galvanized nail. Put lid on loosely, wait 20 seconds or so, then put a burning toothpick next to the lid...you should hear a popping noise like a little explosion. We didn't. We added 2 more nails - hoping to increase the chemical reaction going on. Nothing. Then I came up with the brilliant idea of replacing the lids with the gloves. We watched the gloves slowly fill with gas....this time the flaming toothpick DID cause an explosion. I think our explosion was a wee bit bigger than it was supposed to be, but it made us all happy. And now we know what happened to the Hindenburg.
Lucky for us we didn't have nearly the amount of hydrogen gas as the Hindenburg. As it was I slightly singed one finger. Totally worth it.

I didn't get a picture of our other experiment. Add one teaspoon of yeast to 50ml hydrogen peroxide. Loosely cover with a lid. Take a glowing toothpick (one that you've just blown out) and hold it next to the lid - lift lid and watch it burst back into flame. Cool.

With science done for the day we spent most of the rest of the morning on art. Mixing colors is not as easy as it looks when you are partially color-blind. Just ask my boys. All of them.

2 comments:

Keira said...

For some reason I imagined Cosette as a brunette...not sure why.

It looks like your little students did a great job not burning down the house. I'm still not sure making a bomb with galvanized nails passes the Homeland Security sniff test.

Suzanne said...

Nice job documenting the project. I think that you might need a pair of heavy duty gloves for future science experiments!

Danny's "still life" is looking good.