Friday, November 14, 2008

Cheaper by the Dozen


I wonder where the phrase "I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts" came from?

I am gradually working my way through the stores in Marysville that are open at 5:30am in my quest to find a good selection of doughnuts. It will probably take me a couple more months - because I don't go regularly - maybe once every three weeks or so...anyway, I am somewhat saddened by the lack of variety that is available at 5:30 in the morning.

Here's what I've found so far.

Haggen: they have pretty darn good doughnuts, usually, so I was disappointed to find that the only doughnuts at 5:30 that were done were "cake" donuts. No raised doughnuts at all. No maple bars, jelly filled, bismarks, pershings or even apple fritters. Never fear, my seminary students ate the cake donuts anyway.

Safeway: more selection - plain and glazed regular doughnuts, apple fritters and chocolate bars with an obscene amount of orange and green sprinkles. They weren't in the case yet - still on the rolling rack - some other early morning doughnut seeker had asked the bakery workers to put the rack out - so we were able to get our dozen. I had students from other classes coming by and looking at me with big puppy dog eyes...I'm happy to get rid of all the doughnuts (I make them leave one for Alex - I try and reward his willingness to spend an extra half an hour at church helping me set up and clean up)

Conclusion...Safeway is a better bet than Haggen, but it is about a mile or so farther away - I still have 2 Albertson's to check out, Winco (do they have doughnuts? I don't really shop there), and Henry's Doughnuts (although I heard they weren't open yet...I'll have to check that out). I refuse to even go to Walmart - even if they do have doughnuts...(I've seen some of their bakery stuff and "garish" is a nice way to describe the lurid frosting colors that they seem to favor).

3 comments:

Frankie/mom said...

"Dollars to donuts" quote appeared late 1800's when a dollar was worth 'a dollar' and donuts were pennies. So it showed you were VERY sure of your bet. Previous to donuts, buttons and/or dumplings were used. Isn't Google great?!

Beginning in early Oct, baked goods do become 'garish' and to me, not very appetizing looking. Lots of orange/black/green combo's & they seems to think we want at least an inch of frosting on everything! And yes, Walmart is most guilty of overdoing it. I know a Walmart worker here & if you can, order what you want the day before & they'll have it ready for you! I'm sure that would be true for all the stores. Just a thought!

Keira said...

I, too, liked your use of "garish" and "lurid" to describe a baked good. Way to infuse a blog post with passion...

Debbie said...

Thanks for the etymology of "dollars to donuts"...I like knowing where phrases/words come from.

Apologies to Keira...sorry for the carbs.