Friday, August 1, 2008

A Camping We Will Go


We're leaving tomorrow morning to go on vacation. Like childbirth I forget how hard it is to get ready to go camping. As a kid we just threw stuff in the car/van/trailer and off we went. We never had to worry about the menu/tent/flashlights/dishes/etc. All we had to do was get a change of clothes, maybe a sweatshirt and a sleeping bag. That was it. We didn't have a bunch of air mattresses (I think we had one - and it leaked) - we didn't have a bunch of flashlights - and if we did have more than one, the odds were that at least one didn't work.

Nowadays I pack for camping like I am going to be under siege. Extra flashlights, extra batteries, extra food, extra etc... I think that's part of the reason I'm disappointed not to be going on the 50 miler this summer. That's one kind of camping that I am totally able to simplify. When I'm carrying everything I need for a week I really take a good hard look at how much I really need something. Extra clothes? Not too much. Extra food? No way. Extra flashlights? Nope. Extra moleskin? Absolutely.

1 comment:

Keira said...

Moleskin--Let's see...I'm going to need 65 cubic feet...carry the one...divide by six...

It would probably take my whole pack. I hate having blisters.