Saturday, August 9, 2008

A Bridge Too Far.

Interstate 5 bridge (Vancouver, Washington - Portland, Oregon)


Astoria, Oregon
Bridge of the Gods (Columbia Gorge)

Hood River Toll Bridge


I've been traveling back and forth over the Columbia River most of my life. When I was a kid we used to drive up to Renton, Washington to visit my great-aunt Vi. We must have gone over the bridge at Portland - but frankly, I don't remember it well - I was probably busy trying to hold my breath all the way over (and not succeeding). As an adult I've crossed it at many different places. This week I got to try a new one.

Before I tell about it, I must first explain that I have an irrational fear of long, tall bridges - especially if they curve, and extra especially if they have a metal grate instead of cement for the decking. I really, really hate metal grates on bridges. Really.

Two years ago I was terrified as we traveled over the Bridge of the Gods. I had no idea ahead of time that it hit the trifecta of fear for me. This last week I was more prepared for it. I knew it was longish, very high and that the center section was metal. So far, so good. Monday afternoon we crossed the Columbia River on it. I did okay. Tuesday we were going to Hood River - and I noticed on the map that there was a toll bridge there. I figured "Hey, it MUST be better than the Bridge of the Gods. How wrong I was. It had only one advantage over the Bridge of the Gods. It was much closer to the water. That advantage was completely outweighed by the fact that it must have been 3 times as long, the ENTIRE length was metal grate and the two lanes that crossed it were very, very narrow. Very. I ended up crossing that darn bridge 3 times this week. I hope I never have to drive over it myself. Give me the I-5 bridge any time.

2 comments:

Mad Runner said...

Yikes! I don't mind bridges as long as I'm not stopped on one. I got stopped on the Golden Gate once - some idiots were climbing the towers protesting something. I called in to a radio station and my boss heard me. It was funny to hear his reaction to my callousness of wanting to be off the bridge verses the plight of the protestors and whatever their cause was. Whatever!

Suzanne said...

Just looking at those bridges makes my toes curl.