Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Moment of Weakness


I have an amazing super power. My husband is pretty much in awe of it. Telemarketers call our house...I can analyze the call, say no thank you, and then hang up - all in about 5 seconds. I have 2 or 3 exceptions to the rule throughout the year - a few dollars here and there for certain charities - but that's it.

The same with door-to-door hawkers. I don't care if it's a BYU undergrad trying to sell me a home security set-up or an inner-city youth selling magazines. I especially don't care if it's an inner city kid selling home cleaning products. Nope - I send them on their way - quickly. I will occasionally - very occasionally fork over for a close friend of the family, but that's about it.

I do willingly give of my food storage whenever a group comes by collecting for the food bank - so I hope you don't get the idea that I am utterly heartless. That said, I was blindsided today. I blame kryptonite. Obviously something was sapping my super invulnerability to door to door salesmen. My defenses were down. It must have been the kryptonite - though I am willing to lay some of the blame on Nathan. He it was that came and told me that there was someone at the door for me.

I now have not one, but two new magazine subscriptions.

I very guiltily fessed up to my husband at the dinner table. He didn't pay too much attention...until after dinner when he saw the receipt....

I have to give Steve credit. He didn't get mad. He just laughed. It helped that we had taken our van in to the mechanic today to get it ready for our trip and the total mechanics bill was....wait for it....$0.00. (I have blogged before about my love for our mechanic, Mike. He's awesome.)

Thanks hon for seeing the humor in the situation.

6 comments:

Stephen said...

The kryptonite was strong. She signed up for 3 year subscriptions.

Debbie said...

I plead temporary insanity. This week has been absolutely idaho.

Suzanne said...

Should I ask what magazines?

Keira said...

Cat Fancy and Boys Life...right?

Debbie said...

Soap Opera Digest and Crochet World...or was it....Sports Illustrated and Hot Rod Magazine?

Can you tell I'm embarrassed to admit what I ordered. Very. Not that they are naughty or anything, just that I actually spent money on them.

Darn kryptonite.

Mad Runner said...

It has to be the marcy you have had for almost a week now. It can drain you completely. And what was Nathan thinking? He knows you have been in Idaho (notice it is used as a proper noun here so thus the capitalization) and shouldn't have had to talk to anyone not on your approved debbie.