Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Letters from the Underground

This is where having Suzanne's camera and more importantly her magic eye would come in handy. I'll bet that I think that a lot this week.
I feel a bit subversive right now. Sitting in a tiny cabin in Eastern Idaho, typing away on my husband's laptop. I hope I'm not channeling the unabomber or some member of an underground movement.

We left home Sunday -after church (well, sacrament meeting) and drove as far as Twin Falls. Even though Twin is a couple of miles off the freeway we could see the new Twin Falls temple practically glowing in the night. In the morning after a hearty breakfast at I-Hop we drove over by it. It's quite a pretty temple - and quite startlingly white. Which I guess is why it lit up so well. Anyway. Last night Steve connected to the internet (more unabomber channeling) and found out that the Twin Falls temple had been dedicated by President Monson on Sunday. The day we first saw it. We thought it looked new, we just didn't know how new.

A couple or three hours later we were in Rexburg and saw their new temple. Yes, it's gorgeous, but, having lived Rexburg for 8 months in the 1970's - I was not expecting it to be facing the direction that it is facing. I knew it was on the hill/slope above the college. I thought it would face the college-look out towards town and valley. Nope. I think it faces east - so it's broadside to the town and since you come into town from the west - you sort of come at it from the rear. None of that changes that it is a beautiful temple.

We're off to Yellowstone today - I promise to take lots of pictures and hope that by sheer numbers I will end up with one or two excellent ones. Wish me luck

3 comments:

Keira said...

Don't lose any kids in the boiling, molten, sulphuric hot pots. (Unless that was the plan all along.)

I miss you when you're not here, Deb. Maybe I'll call Sherri.

Mad Runner said...

As Olivia N.J. would say "Call me! Any time you like, call me, any day or night! Call me!" I'm here as a sub and Suz is for me. I love the 'filler' sisters!!

By the way, I'm calling and checking on Danny when you get home. I mean come on! Who would he need to check in with? School? No. Sports program? No. Church? Deb could make up almost any excuse for him being gone. Watch your step Danny!! Better yet watch your mom!!!

Suzanne said...

I couldn't finish you entire post,just the image of you in a small cabin typing was enough to send me into a fit of laughter.