Thursday, October 2, 2008

Now Hiring


I looked ahead at Daniel's history assignments...he is still studying the Renaissance. Yesterday he started a chart that listed some of Baldasarre Castiglione's ideas (from The Book of the Courtier - quite the bestseller in its day)of what qualities a good Renaissance courtier should have. Then he had to fill in the next column with examples of how Isabella d'Este showed those qualities. Today he will fill in the next column with examples of Leonardo da Vinci's qualities....tomorrow has me a little worried. He has to create two more columns...the first with characteristics of a modern Renaissance man, and then he has to chose someone who typifies those qualities.

Any suggestions? Here is a list of possible qualities:

speak multiple languages
play an instrument
knowledgeable about current affairs (political, economics.)
athletic
good dancer
artistic
architect
engineer
well educated
able to write in prose or poetry
person of good character
witty, but never crude or impolite
modest

Applications are now being accepted. (I KNOW what you're thinking.....me, me, me, also me...)

Really, I'm looking for a modern day Renaissance Man or Woman. They don't have to have ALL of the above qualities, but a good smattering would be necessary. Ideas???

4 comments:

Keira said...

Maybe Bill Gates--international philanthropy, ruler of the tech world, (recently) tv commercial actor...

Sarah Palin--field dresses a moose, controls a state, runs a family, runs for VP...

Alex said...

Al Gore - politics, documentary-making, and internet-creating

Alex said...

Also, I'm sure that some pop-stars (ie Britney Spears) fall under none of those qualifications.

m_perfect said...

Need we look farther than his Renaissansish Uncle Brian. I ask you does he or does he not exhibit all of those qualities and does a boss sprinkler dance to boot!? Keep it in the family is what I say.