Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lost...and found


This is me, blogging through worry.

It's not a good sign when your son's youth leader calls and tells you that they've lost your child. Even if the kid is 17 and it's a beautiful sunny day.

Yeah.

Alex went with a group of YM on a 50 mile bike ride. They were going to be riding around La Conner/Mt. Vernon (a good 45 minutes drive away). Nice flat roads, rural countryside - this is where the tulip festival is - so think Holland. His leader called and gave us his cell phone number in case Alex calls home. They haven't seen him for over an hour. I hope someone is driving around looking for him, because Alex isn't the type to call home. He might be if he had his cell phone...but it's here at home charging.

In my imagination Alex is walking along the side of the road, wheeling his bike because he has a flat tire. And probably totally lost. That's my guess. In the meantime, Steve and Danny just got back from their camp out - so they are cleaning out the van - I told Steve he'd better hurry up - just in case we have to go searching for Alex.

Stay tuned for further updates.

6:20 - It's starting to get dark...Steve just left to drive up to La Conner..it will be dark before he gets there. Alex is wearing a navy blue jacket and jeans - not the most visible outfit to wear while walking or riding a bike in the dark. If you see him, give us a call.

6:40 - Steve just called. Alex found his way to wherever he was supposed to meet up with the other scouts. Good for him.

I find that I am not cut out for drama...it's much too emotionally draining. I do have one question. What happened to the "buddy system"? It's much more fun to be lost with a buddy, than to be on your own.

5 comments:

Frankie/mom said...

These are heart stopping events, causing our imaginations to run amok! (alien abductions, etc!) Great to have a happy ending! I remember there were times I wished Brian Keith & John would have an alien abduction! ha ha

m_perfect said...

yeah, we are sad if they're gone, sad if they're there...
Good to have a happy ending though. I hate those to be continued things...drives me nuts!

Debbie said...

I hadn't even considered alien abduction...Alex might even have gotten a kick out of that, and I'm pretty sure the aliens would have dropped him back off before they got past Mars.

Suzanne said...

Whew..I was starting to get worried just reading it. I was totally with you pushing the bike with a flat ...never went with the alien abduction. Was he wearing a whistle at least?

Mad Runner said...

What I want to know is what gene makes all of our kids not want to bother anyone else if they are lost or in need? Granted I wouldn't have either - thinking back to being 9 mo preggers with Tylor and getting lost at 5 am and thinking, "If I sit here a while I'll be fine...". Tylor came the next morning...