Monday, June 9, 2008

Winding Down


Daniel and I went and turned in his textbooks today - also turned in his end of year evaluation. We are done with all the "official" stuff, and left with three and a half days of school to do with as we please....

It sort of brings to mind the winding down days of school when I was at good old Elizabeth Page Elementary School. It was all about helping the teacher get the classroom packed up, field day, parties, etc...I don't remember doing anything substantive.

I do remember going to school the last couple of days of second grade with the mumps. I didn't want to miss the partying. I wonder how many kids had the mumps over summer vacation because of me?

6 comments:

Keira said...

Mumps? People don't have the mumps anymore.

Debbie said...

When I was a kid people still had mumps AND measles (just look at all those people in Betty Neels books). We were lucky to have vaccines for polio and smallpox.

I think I had German measles when Mom was pregnant with Sherri. Sorry Sherri.

Debbie said...

Wait, I think I had the GM when she was pregnant with DAVID. That explains a lot.

OKTownsends said...

I had the German measles and mumps too, did I get them from you? I'm pretty sure it all happened before the age of 5 when I met you. At least you could avoid the GM shot (developed too late for us obviously) if you actually had them.

Do you remember where you were 31 years ago? And have you ever been back?

Debbie said...

I went back to the high school a couple of times around Christmas - before my Dad retired. He used to lock Christmas presents in his office and we would go and help him wrap them - the tables in the drafting room were great for that.

It's been over 20 years since I set foot at SHS.

I seldom get down to Springfield. Every couple of years or so I drive by - we visited John there 2 or 3 years ago - that was probably the last time. I go to Portland a few times a year and over to the coast (usually around Newport) nearly every year.

OKTownsends said...

When we graduated I probably was thinking I hope I never have to come back here. I am a little surprised myself that I never have been back to SHS that I can remember. I have only been to Springfield once in the past 12 years. It's not on purpose, but a little out of the way.
I am off to girl's camp in the morning. Mosquitoes are going to be a problem, but scorpions, rattlesnakes, tarantulas and thunderstorms really make camping in OK interesting. It almost makes me miss banana slugs.