Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I've Got An Axe To Grind

You'd think that with 5 boys I would already own an axe. You'd think that somewhere down the line someone would have needed an axe for Scouts before now. Before my 5th and last Scout. But strangely enough, no Scoutmaster has ever wanted the boys to have their own axe at campouts....until now.

Danny's Scoutmaster informed me last night that Danny needs an axe for his campout next week.

I'm not generally a nervous mom - I've seen my share (some might think MORE than my share) of broken bones and injuries needing stitches. I handle them fairly well (okay, I make Steve take them to the hospital/walk-in clinic - if he's home - but mostly because I hate to sit around in waiting rooms). But I dunno, something about giving a 13 year old boy an axe gives me the willies.

2 comments:

Keira said...

Two hundred years ago a 13-year-old would have his own back 40 acres to fell.

But this is not then and I too would not trust any 13-year-old with a lethal weapon.

Mad Runner said...

I'm with you Deb. I would be less worried about Connor than the 10 boys - who I know and wouldn't trust with a dull knife let alone an axe - of swinging that thing and someone losing an eye!