Monday, February 18, 2008

Random Cover Art

Originally published in 1943, this reprint in 1976. Cover does actually relate to the story. Except that the girl on the cover looks more like a guy in drag... The main characters have typical GLH names - Benedict Barron(very manly name) and Alexia Kendall (nickname: Lexie). Also typical of GLH, both characters have lost both of their parents (this smacks of my favorite line from Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Ernest":"To lose one parent in unfortunate. To lose two could be considered careless." )


Originally published in 1931, this reprint in 1973. Not a very flattering portrayal of men and women in the 70's. Both main characters have again lost BOTH their parents (it's not healthy to be a parent in GLH's world). Strange things about this cover:


  1. The plane has red wings, not silver.


  2. Our heroine (Amory Lorrimer) is shown in a sleeveless dress. GLH would not have approved.


  3. Our hero (Theodore Gareth Kingsley) has used way too much self tanning lotion.

Thought bubbles I would like to see over the couple:

Gareth: Yes, I'm secure enough in my manliness to use self tanner, bleach my hair and throw my jacket over my shoulder.

Amory: Are you sure? Cause I'm just not feeling it. In fact I find it more than a little weird.

2 comments:

Keira said...

Nice. So nice. I agree that the sleeveless dress was on the risque side. And that plane lacks romance if you ask me.

Oh, BTW, I bought "Stardust" for tonight's movie--really cute and worth the effort. I'm glad I didn't totally waste my evening.

Suzanne said...

I guess I need to go to my local library and check out a few more GLH books. I am in need of some serious fluff.

That being said, I will avoid the 70's reprints, or cover them in brown paper.