Sunday, February 10, 2008

Word of the Day: Concatenation

concatenation
1. the state of being linked together as in a chain; union in a linked series
2. the linking together of a consecutive series of symbols or events or ideas etc; "it was caused by an improbable concatenation of circumstances"
3. a series of things depending on each other as if linked together; "the chain of command"; "a complicated concatenation of circumstances" [syn:
chain]
4. the act of linking together as in a series or chain

It is now time to use the word "concatenation" in a story.

It was Friday. I had had a toothache all week. It was also "that special time of the month". Tia's puppy, Baily, chewed on my only good bra. I had hit the trifecta of bad karma. Danny and I took the train back home. Saturday came. With it the caucus, and ward temple night. After a long and stressful day I was more than ready to go to bed when I discovered that instead of merely chewing a hole in my bra, Baily had managed somehow to destroy the underwire. Due to the concatenation of circumstances, I found myself in the lingerie department of Fred Meyer at 10pm on a Saturday night.

3 comments:

Keira said...

Nathan read this post and thought, "I know all about concatenation--any programmer learns about concatenaton in programming 101."

Keira said...

really.

Suzanne said...

I think that you could write a book called "A Series of Unfortunate Events," or "Debbie and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day."