Saturday, February 2, 2008

Weird Words for $1000

I love the word "euphemism". It's not only fun to say, euphemisms serve an important role in polite society.

(Robert A. Heinlein wrote "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.")


My favorite use of the actual word "euphemism" is in Dr. Suess' "Grinch Night" wherein little Ukariah tells Grandpa Josiah that he needs to use the euphemism.


In our newspaper every week we have a cooking forum where people send in recipes or requests for recipes. Occaisionally there will be something good, often it's just weird. This week's entry may just win the "why would you want to eat something with a name like that?" award. I gather that the recipe started out as something called "all-American casserole" which I admit is less than descriptive. We used to call something similar to it "Macaroni Mess". Okay, that's not particularly appetizing - doesn't make you want to put out the good china. A family member of the newspaper contributor renamed theirs "Konkie Doodle".


Sounds like a euphemism you'd use when potty training a toddler.

2 comments:

Keira said...

I have just officially brought the words, "used the euphemism" into my word cycle. I can't wait to use it!

Debbie said...

And now I'm going to see a man about a horse...