Friday, May 9, 2008

The Theahtah, the theahtah

Danny, Alex and I went to the spring musical at the high school last night. This year's production was "Into the Woods" - which I had heard of, but hadn't seen. I will give it 3 1/2 stars (out of 5).

Strengths:
  • new sound system - everyone was "miked" so that you could actually hear what was being said and sung.
  • Strong performances from several lead actors/actresses.
  • Sets were simple, but effective.
  • Overall good casting (within the limitations of people willing to try out for a musical at their high school.)
  • Music and sound effects.

Weaknesses:
  • Length. The darn thing was 3 hours long - it didn't get over until 10:30 and this was a school night.
  • Act II. Act I was fun and fairly lighthearted. Act II gets darker and has more of a "message". I did not appreciate it when Cinderella's prince has a fling with the baker's wife.
  • Pit orchestra - technically very good and enjoyable, but at times too loud - which made listening to the words of songs tough.
  • Seating. The high school auditorium has new seats that are about a million times better than the old ones, BUT, they are still about 1 inch higher that is truly comfortable for a 3 hour play. The backs of my legs were in agony by the end of the evening.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I like the "Pros and Cons" list. I think that list covers all High School plays. Know when your audience has had enough and end it with the audience wanting more.

Alex said...

My favorite part of the play was finding out that they decided to have the "Mysterious Man" be played by the same person as the narrator. I know that's not how the "official" version goes, but seeing the actor switch costumes onstage was absolutely hilarious.