Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Patches



What is it about men/boys and patches? Cub Scout Patches, Boy Scout Patches, Merit Badges, Military Rank... you KNOW they don't have to sew the darn things on.

I was first introduced to the darn things over 20 years ago while Steve was in the Air National Guard. I always hated it when he got a rank promotion, because that meant I'd have to rip off the old patches and sew on a new set - on all of his clothes. Okay, great honey, you got promoted....(all the while quietly grumbling about all the work it entailed for me).

Danny brought home a patch from Scouts a couple of weeks ago. I asked him if it was supposed to be sewn onto his shirt. He didn't think so. I thought so. I asked his Scout leader a few days later about it - it turns out I was right. I hardly grumbled at all as I lugged out the ol' Kenmore, found somewhat matching thread, scissors and a pin. It wasn't too bad. I think I managed to get it put in the right place (don't get me started on that issue - how they always have a specific place that they have to be put...) and best of all I didn't sew the sleeve together.

**later, the same evening....Danny came home from Scouts with ANOTHER patch to sew on! I hadn't put my sewing machine away yet, so everything was all set to go. I hope this doesn't become a habit.

2 comments:

Keira said...

I still haven't added the new patches to my Scout shirt. So, technically I don't belong to my den--and after yesterday's meeting I'm totally considering a disavowal.

I pre-medicated with a Tylenol. I think that's a good plan.

Debbie said...

I have to admit to pre-medicating myself(only with Tylenol - that's as strong as my medicine chest goes, darn it) before pinewood derby once or twice.