Monday, April 13, 2009

The Real Miracle


Our family is still slogging through the Old Testament...but the end is sort of on the far distant horizon. We finished reading Ezekiel's dry bones last week (Yea!) and now we are in the book of Daniel. I love that it's short and pretty straightforward.

Last night we read the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego. The one where they are tossed into the fiery furnace for not bowing down to the enormous idol. I suppose it was pretty miraculous that they were not consumed by the fire. Nice. Their hair wasn't singed. Good. And yeah, their clothes weren't burnt. Okay. Yup - it's a pretty cool miracle. But wait...my favorite part comes at the end:

Daniel 3: 27 And the princes, governors, and captains, and the king’s counsellors, being gathered together, saw these men, upon whose bodies the fire had no power, nor was an hair of their head singed, neither were their coats changed, nor the smell of fire had passed on them.

The wife and/or mother of any Boy Scouter would pay ready money for the secret to that miracle. I love getting into the van the day after a campout (that would always be a SUNDAY!!!)and having the entire van reek of stinky boys....and campfire.

Yes. Steve had a campout this past weekend.

5 comments:

Frankie/mom said...

Oh yes,...My nostrils sensitive still...I can conjure it up with just a mere thought of 'stinky/smoky/scout odor. Add the smelly/rotting/feet fragrance of tennis shoes and you've got the entire panorama of 'smelldom'! God love them all!

Frankie/mom said...

Almost forgot! Good for you all for slogging through! There are some memorable plots (& a little racy!) I guess some things don't ever change, huh?

Suzanne said...

I haven't touched the Old Testament in quite a while. Good for you.

Can I say, one boy. I will only have one scout. Yipee. Of course, Emma will make up for that in spades.

Mad Runner said...

My favorite part is Jim and/or Connor going camping and me having to do laundry that smells like smoke - even if they haven't worn it!! Drives me nuts! With trips you can just put stuff away - no weird smells!

Debbie said...

I ask Steve wash his hair twice - once just doesn't get rid of the smoky smell.