Tuesday, December 11, 2007

insects vs. primates


Before any music critics come to my house with a lynching party, please let me explain. I was young. If there is any crime here, I plead youth.

The first pop song I remember singing was The Beatles "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". Those were the only lyrics I knew. I would sing those words over and over and over and over. I probably drove my parents nuts, but it must have been their fault that I had even heard it.

Fast forward a few years and The Monkees were on our black and white tv every week. I was in love with Mickey. Big sis Marcy was in love with Davy. We had a record (you know, vinyl)of theirs...we had every song memorized. I know that the Beatles have much more critical acclaim. Much more. And in spite of that I still have that crush on Mickey.

2 comments:

Keira said...

Hey, I am a Monkey devotee myself. Don't be a hater--Peter was pretty hot himself and held the dubious distinction of being the heir to the White Out fortune.

Suzanne said...

I'm shocked that you favor the pop sensations of The Monkees over The Beatles. True to form, I think that I prefer them as well, especially when you start listening to the "late" Beatle stuff. Too far out for this pop princess!