Wednesday, December 12, 2007

..and remember, this is for posterity, so be honest...

My husband keeps reminding me that whatever is posted on the internet is there forever, so be careful what I write. On the other hand, does anyone besides me actually read the Christmas newsletters that come this time of year?




I used to angst about how these other families led such perfect lives, you know:




This year our little Sally was the head chearleader, validictorian, and Miss America. She also volunteers in a soup kitchen every day after schooland collects teddy bears for the starving children in Greenland. Our older son Billy is the youngest person ever to win the Nobel Peace Prize and he plays pro baseball AND basketball in his spare time while working on his presidential campaign and being a volunteer firefighter......





I finally realized that these were truly pathetic attempts by those people to validate their existence. Okay, so no one wants to have their faults held up for the world (or at least family and friends) to see, but I like the letters that throw in at least a pinch of reality. When my children were younger I considered a year in which we didn't need the orthodpedic department at the Everett Clinic on speed dial a red letter year. Let's hear more about years like that.



So, lets celebrate the little things in life - not try and make everyone else feel like losers. Trust me, your friends and family won't be surprised that you're not perfect, they'll be grateful that you're honest.


Now, it's time for me to start on our Christmas Newsletter......let's see, is there one or two e's in "genius"...

2 comments:

Keira said...

nice Princess Bride allusion--Sherri is chuckling at us, you know. Too bad she's not cool enough to enjoy the blog love.

Suzanne said...

Here it is the middle of December and you're already doing your Christmas newsletter? You are just trying to make the rest of us look bad when we get out Christmas cards sent on Valentine's day.