Friday, December 28, 2007

I did, did I?

Most of the time I have to no real liking for palindromes - occaisionally they can be funny and clever, usually they are just awkward and contrived.

pal·in·drome /ˈpælɪnˌdroʊm/ –noun
1. a word, line, verse, number, sentence, etc., reading the same backward as forward, as Madam, I'm Adam or Poor Dan is in a droop.


Today I'm in love. I've avoided writing much about NYT crossword puzzle - but today I'm feeling smug and smart. Part of the smartness is offset by the fact that I thought I finished the Friday crossword, when actually it was yesterday's paper (Thursday). Oh well, it still feels good. The theme for today's (okay, yesterday's) crossword was palindromes. There were three long palindromic answers:

"Must save vast sum"
"Aerate pipet area"
"Page gawks at task wage gap"

Bring it.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Whoa. I'm not worthy. Genuflect in your general direction.

Keira said...

What on earth was the clue to "aerate pipet area"?

Debbie said...

17A: Palindromic thought about preparing to pay down massive debt (must save vast sum)
24A: With 47-Across, palindromic Senate worker looks with amazement upon job payment inconsistency (page gawks at / task wage gap)
61A: Palindromic plan for freshening part of a lab (aerate pipet area)