Monday, December 15, 2008

Failure to Plan.


We had a little snow over the weekend. A couple of inches. Not too much, but along with it we had some unusually cold temperatures (cold for us). Our high today is only supposed to be in the 20's and the low is around 17 degrees. So what? So the school district decided to have 2 hour late start this morning. Thankfully a friend of mine was scheduled to sub in Alex's seminary class and she found out about the late start and called me (at 5:15am). We only have seminary on days when the kids go to school on time - so that means that I had to call 10 families this morning at about 5:30am. It's a fun call to make:

Them: (very sleepy sounding) hello...
Me: I'm calling to let you know that since school is on 2 hour late start we won't be having seminary.
Them: (wide awake and very chipper sounding) really??...thank you!

I had to leave a message at two houses - one of which is our seminary principal. I talked to him last night - he called me because I had a question about our "snow day" protocol. He said that he would work on it and we (all the teachers) would discuss it this morning. Oops. Too late. I talked to a couple of the other teachers this morning and we each offered to call one other teacher to make sure that they knew. The one that I talked to knew, but he wasn't going to call his students - he expected them to find out for themselves and if they didn't, they would be punished by showing up to a closed church. Ouch.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Yeah, no Seminary. Bummer that you had to make so many calls so early in the morning.

Keira said...

I've got a snow day myself. I'll call you later and you can help me get through the day...

m_perfect said...

Snow Day!? Our students pray for wind! No little bit of snow is going to keep them from an education!It is fun to see the Cali students at the college the first few snowy days and it does keep the roads clear since they tend to be in the ditches.

OKTownsends said...

Yea, a call from the Seminary teacher is only fair, even if they are just verifying the obvious.