Saturday, February 28, 2009

My Travelling Obsession

I own 3 different versions of the movie Around the World in Eighty Days. I didn't realize that I had that many until last night. Steve and I picked up the 1956 version at Costco about a month ago - I think it was only $8.99. We finally got around to watching it last night.

This version won 5 Oscars - including Best Picture - beating out The 10 Commandments and The King and I! Lots of great location shots. Lots of cameos by famous actors of the day. Lots of fun. Two thumbs up.

Although the other two versions can't quite compete, they are also fun in their own ways. In 1989 Pierce Brosnan starred as Fogg in a miniseries with Eric Idle as Passpartout and Peter Ustinov as Detective Fix (I own this one on video - not dvd - darn it). The other version came out in 2004. It was by far the least faithful to the book, but a lot of fun nevertheless. Jackie Chan made a great Passpartout . Danny and I read the book Around the World in Eighty Days and then saw that version in the theater.

3 comments:

Keira said...

There's one with Peter Ustinov?! Sign me up.

m_perfect said...

I have to admit that I have not seen the 1956 version. I, too, have the Pierce Brosnan one in VHS, but not Jackie Chan! We'll have to check it out!

m_perfect said...

Hadn't noticed the change in your Blog title 'til now...painfully appropriate?! Aarghhhh! Poor Deb! (heaves great sigh of commiseration)