Sunday, June 13, 2010

Our Man in Japan

Dear Family,

I hope things are going well for all of you. This past week was pretty good. The main thing of note was probably Lu's baptism. I think I mentioned him in my last email but he's a 25 year-old from Vietnam. He's been in Japan for a year and a half and has another year and a half to go. We started teaching him a little after I got here around May 22 and he's come to church every week since, twice in the rain. Fortunately we were able to find a Vietnamese Book of Mormon in our apartment and an old 1980 Vietnamese Gospel Principles book in the church library. He's really doing well and it's been great meeting with him. I look forward to continuing to meet with him from now on. He's pretty Tech-savy so I'll probably keep in touch with him on skype or messenger after going home.

Here's a simple translation of his testimony after being baptized. He's really trying hard with Japanese.

`Hello everyone. I've been in Japan for 1 year and 4 months. I still don't understand much Japanese so if I mess up please let me know.
I'm happy that everyone came here today. Today is the day I received baptism.
I'm very happy because through baptism my past sins have been forgiven by God.
Now I have a new life again. So following in God's way and so so I don't waste the things everyone has taught me from now on I'm going to do a lot of good things. I will follow the Lord's commandments.
(He read the 10 commandments here)
Besides these there's also some other various things but I'm going to do my best.
Next so everyone knows a little about me I'd like to introduce myself. I came to Japan last year on February 19th. I'm working here with the goal of helping my family and my future. Now I have another family, that family is all of you. I'm really happy.
I have 3 years to work here in Japan. After 1 year and 8 months I go back home. When I first came to Japan and lived in Kobe this lifestyle and environment was very interesting, big roads and lots of cars with beautiful scenery and good weather. There's lot's of places I want to visit.
However, after living here for a year I wanted to return to Vietnam but I had to continue working. But now I've gotten used to it and don't want to go home(early). So now with my remaining days here I'll work, study, I'll especially study Japanese, and want to talk with everyone more.
I want everyone to teach me. Please.
I say and testify of these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.`

He's a wonderful person.

As far as going to Hiroshima goes, the chances are slim. I probably won't transfer again.

Elder West

PS Tell Jordan I'd be happy to room with him.

No comments: